Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 8...

Today was the first day that we didn't have anything to do. Every other day we've been on this ship we've had rehearsals or meetings we needed to attend.


Today....nothing.



It was a long day....of nothing.



I worked out for 45 minutes early this morning. I turned to leave to go back to my room and realized I had nothing else to do, so I went back into the gym and worked out fo another 45 minutes.



The gym on this ship is great. There are 2 personal trainers at our disposal. They're very cool. One of them was on the Serbian Olympic Judo team.



After lunch I sat on one of the sun decks and cracked open one of the 10 books I brought with me. 4 of them are very thick books that I've been given as Christmas and Birthday gifts that I hadn't gotten around to reading. I knew I was going to have tons of time on the boat so I packed them all up and brought them with me.



2 of the books were given to me by Drew Korb.



I'm very excited to read all these books, but now I'm worried I'm going to have them all read before the end of my first month here.



I'm telling you, I've got a lot of free time on my hands.



This first book that I'm reading is "The Informant". I'm particularly interested in this book because it's set in Decatur, Illinois where my parents currently live.



From 1994 to 1997 (the three years before I moved to Chicago) I lived in Decatur and worked as a morning radio host on WSOY radio. During those years there was a wild scandel in town involving ADM and the FBI. The station I worked at was a talk radio station so we discussed the scandel daily.


This book, "The Informant" is all about that scandel. It's riveting. I burned through the first 100 pages in 3 hours.



Currently, Matt Damon is in Decatur filming the film version of the book. Don't wait for the movie. Pick up the book and read it. The details and events involving the scandel are so unbelievable that you would toss the book aside if it were a piece of fiction. However, it's all true. And we all know, truth is usually crazier than anything we make up.



Second City updated it's website and we're now listed there. Take a look.

1 comment:

Nicolle said...

I'm fascinated by all of this boat stuff... continue to keep my abreast of everything cause im a concerned citizen and i hate doing work at work.

Love co-head (he) of Sexy 08